Site Network: Home | About



Victory For The Comic Muse

While going thru releases of 2006 I stumbled across The Divine Comedy's "Victory For The Comic Muse" and although it doesn't make my top 15, it deserves a mention. If you are not familiar with The Divine Comedy, it is the work of Neil Hannon who has recorded 9 records under the name. Neil got his break back in '96 with the song "Something For The Weekend" off of Casanova. Its a bit of Baroque in its sound, lots of drama, orchestra and chamber pop. Neil succeeded with this sound since it was riding the last wave of Brit Pop before its implosion. Since then, Neil released a couple more records, wrote for other people and more or less laid low. In 2006, Neil released "Victory..." and I decided to give it another listen.

I am not a huge fan of this style, it reminds me of musicals and can be too sappy for me. With that bias in mind I decided to try once again to listen. After a few tracks the cd has started to grow on me, it may have strings but its not some Shakespearean score with minstrels dancing and clapping their hands. Ok, the Monty Python from last night is coming out but you get my drift. This cd is part of the "Quiet Revolution" (a term I read in a British music magazine) and is just as good as Damien Rice or James Blunt.

http://www.thedivinecomedy.com/

Posted by mardenhill 12/14/2006 09:23:00 AM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment