Site Network: Home | About



Top 20 Of 2006

Instead of the top 15, it became the top 20 since I found more cds that I liked this year. I decided not to rate them in order because it would take me too long to figure out and its a pain to move the artwork around. Below are my favorite releases of the year, feel free to comment and add your own. If I had to pick the best it would be a tie between The Kooks, The Pernice Brothers, The Black Heart Procession and Grant Lee Phillips. Its the first time Ryan Adams hasn't made my lineup in a number of years. I guess releasing 3 cds in one year can hurt your chances.


Grant Lee Phillips - NinteenEighties
Its a cover record but its covers of great 80s songs by bands like The Cure, REM, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Pixies and The Psychedelic Furs. If you had never heard the originals you would be convinced Grant Lee wrote them himself. Grant does a great job at interjecting his style and personality into these songs.


Golden Smog - Another Fine Day
The song "Corvette" is the best part of the cd, it may be my single of year its that good. Classic Alt County mixed with a bit of indie rock. Supergroup of sorts and all the usual suspects are present.


Mike Johnson - Gone Out Of Your Mind
Mike is the 3rd coolest musician (Mark Lanegan being 1st and Grant Lee being 2nd) and his music is dark, brooding and amazing. Mike makes you realize that even if you are at rock bottom, he is always a few steps below which automatically makes you feel better.


The Kooks - Inside In/Inside Out
The UK music scene has been suffering for the last few years with very little good music emerging. The Kooks caught me off guard and I fell in love with it. The Kooks are a perfect blend of jangle pop and attitude. Very little post punk going on which is why I love it.


The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics
Not as good as the previous cd but after seeing them live on this tour, it made me appreciate the music more.


Jarvis Cocker - Jarvis
Jarvis is well Jarvis, a quirky man who writes amazing songs that tell a story. He was the lead singer of Pulp, one of the best UK bands of the 90s. This cd is not Pulp and its not thin and weak like most solo releases.


Charlotte Gainsbourgh - 5:55
I like this cd since Air and Jarvis did most of the work on it. Charlotte does a great job with the breathy vocals plus you get to think of it as a new Air cd. Its a great release to have on in the background when you are reading.


Electric Six - Switzerland
Electric Six are a band from Detroit that writes crazy and obnoxious songs with lots of Fire references that makes you dance. This release diversifies their sound and really gets you going. Anyone who can write about Pink Flamingos in a western style gets an "A" in my book.


She Wants Revenge - She Wants Revenge
You can't hate Interpol but you can hate bands that rip off their sound. SWR takes the style but spins a dark synthpop into it making it an excellent late night listen. Its good mindless fun not to be taken seriously.


I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness - Fear Is On Our Side
Interpol influences here but its a bit more lush and they win for the best band name of the year. You have a bit of Shoegazer mixed with pretentious Indie Rock.


Beth Orton - Comfort In Strangers
Beth does great with whatever style she tries. There are no subtle electronic beats here but the organic sound does her well. Beautiful summer record to listen early on the weekends while doing yard work.


Badly Drawn Boy - Born In The UK
Badly Drawn Boy failed with me the last 2 cds but made up for it with this one. The single "Nothings Gonna To Change Your Mind " is my 2nd fav single of the year.


Placebo - Meds
Placebo writes pretty lame lyrics but musically they are very cool. Something about them keeps me listening and I was very impressed with their latest. The sleaze factor is a bit lower on this one but its not innocent either.


Stereolab - Fab Four Suture
Stereolab is one of my favorite bands to see live and they are always pushing the envelope on music. They are not too avant guard where it hurts to listen. They are just right where its a breathe of fresh air when you are bored of whats popular.


Beck - The Information
I wasn't too impressed with Guero, it was a bit 1 dimensional and not up to the level I expect from Beck. The Information blew me away and I find new things to like about it every time I listen.


Kasabian - Empire
One of my favorite bands from the UK right now. With influences like Primal Scream (the late 90s era) and a kicked up sleaze factor, Empire is an amazing listen. Perfect blend of electronic and rock.


Mark Lanegan & Isobel Campbell - Ballad Of The Broken Seas
We have already covered that Mark is the coolest person on the planet so he deserves to be in my top 20. This duet with Isobel starts off as oil and water, gruff vocals mixed with angelic whispers. Its something you don't think goes together but somehow finds the perfect sweet spot for an excellent cd.


The Pernice Brothers - Live A Little
I love this cd, its full of sunshine pop and great indie rock. Its not pop like Elephant 6 releases which get on my nerves but more mature and thought out rhythms. Alt County and Indie Rock have a hidden commonplace and that is what the Pernice Brothers have found.


The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldier
You mix Jack White and Brendan Benson and a couple guys from the Greenhornes, you get the Raconteurs. There is no one person who overshadows the others and they have all come together to create a new sound different from their own individual work. Plus they are natives of Detroit so I have to include them.


The Black Heart Procession - The Spell
Who would have thought listening to a dirge mixed with some saloon rumblings would be good music? Well BHP has achieved that somehow and its addicting. Its brooding and melancholy, but also peaceful at the same time.

Posted by mardenhill 12/14/2006 12:27:00 PM  

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Good list Randy. Will and I have 5 of your picks in our top 40 for the year.

    ben

    (I can't comment on anyone's beta account.)
    Anonymous said...
    hey...

    badly drawn boy is going to be at the majestic on friday, march 9. i'd go if you guys are interested...

Post a Comment