Site Network: Home | About



Slayer In 2006

The other night my friend Chris and I were out having a beer and discussing music. The topic of Slayer came up and how Chris is still a fan after all these years. He did make a point that I could sing all the lyrics to their older stuff which I begrudgingly admitted to. I have listened to their new cd "Christ Illusion" and its a non stop, frontal assault on your brain. Slayer has not slowed down like other metal bands or switched to the country genre, they still give it all they got. Lyric wise, the topics still revolve around death, corruption, war, religion and nothing is sacred to these guys. They are not a satanic band, they just explore the darker side to our existence.

I decided to check out their website to see what the band looks like these days. The lead singer Tom Araya still has the long hair but is going grey. The original drummer has returned and according to some, given Slayer back their classic sound. These guys who have been playing for at least 25 years are in their early and mid forties, will they continue on into their 50s? You have Ozzy and Lemmy still rockin out but musically they are nowhere near as hard as Slayer.

There are a few Slayer songs I still enjoy listening to and they come from the South of Heaven and Reign in Blood cds. I can usually get thru maybe 2-3 songs before its time to move on, I just don't have the tolerance for such heavy music. I have seen them once in the past but I don't know if I could handle another show, I would need industrial size ear plugs.

If you have never listened to Slayer or havn't in a while, go back and check them out. You will respect the guys even if you don't care for their music. They are not like Lars Ulrich from Metallica who wants to sue everyone for downloading while he is sits on millions. And Nasir if you read this, Iron Maiden still sucks so don't get any ideas....

http://www.slayer.net/site.php

Posted by mardenhill 11/17/2006 01:35:00 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment