Site Network: Home | About



Alligator

Do you miss the days when the Afghan Whigs were the shit and Greg belted out lyrics that would make your mother blush? Well don't get too upset, because that time is back. What do I mean, well the 90's are over but now we have The National to fill that void. The lead singer is nowhere near as pompus and egotistical but he uses apathy to get your attention. The National are a perfect indie rock band, slow atmospheric rock and alt country with dry Malkmus vocals. Not all songs are about sex but they are about relationships and life in general.

Track 1 "Secret Meeting": it has great piano and soft drums with deep, introspective lines.

Track 2 "Karen": with lyrics like "its a common fetish for a dowdy man to ballerina on a coffee table cock in hand" and "karen put me in a chair, fuck me make me a drink, I lost direction, and I'm past my peak" its Greg all over again.

Track 3 "Lit Up": the guitars get a bit heavier and the piano fades into the background.

Track 4 "Looking For Astronauts": a great song, its very catchy but not your typical tempo. Very Walkmen with the timing but better.

Track 6 "Baby, We'll Be Fine": "I'm so sorry for everything" Matt Berninger sings in a drunken mess to his girl.

Track 8 "Val Jester": comes close to the darkness that is Mike Johnson. Whiskey soaked duet with a cello holding it all together.

Track 9 "All The Wine": "I'm put together beautifully...I'm a perfect piece of ass like every California...."and all the wine is all for me" at this point you realize you can't take Matt seriously, he is just sitting back laughing at everyone.

The whole cd is great from start to finish. The mood swings a bit but always brings you back to the dark corner The National occupy at your local hipster joint.

Posted by mardenhill 9/26/2006 07:59:00 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment