Site Network: Home | About



Randy's Reissues

I came up with this while cutting the grass and listening to my ipod. I was listening to Morphine's - Cure For Pain and decided that I should do a review of a cd that has been long forgotten but needs to be brought to life again. So every week I will come up with a cd that I think deserves another listen.

Morphine - Cure For Pain

We all love the 2 piece White Stripes style of music for the fact it differs from the standard rock band but Morphine was the group who really introduced unconventional to the alternative scene. Morphine was a Boston band who released their 1st cd in '92 and Cure For Pain in '93. They consisted of drums, sax and a 2 string slide bass. The music is dark and bluesy, a bit of jazz and rock n roll. Mark Sandman loves to sing about women and u will find half the songs are named for women. "Cure for pain" is the perfect singalong and "Sheila has an excellent sax line. The music sounds simple but fills the room with the deep baritone sax and bass lines. Guitarless music rarely finds its way onto the music scene let alone radio but Morphine was able to break this stride. Mark Sandman died in '99 while on stage in Europe and they released 5 cds plus 1 live bootleg from Detroit. All cds are a must have but Cure For Pain stands out as their best one. "I'm free now" flows like a conscience thought rather than a well thought out poem. I really think this was the beauty of Morphine, the songs sound like conversations you would have in a dark smoky bar. If you have never listened to "Cure For Pain" or havn't in a while pull it out, I promise you won't regret it.

Posted by mardenhill 10/02/2004 03:31:00 PM  

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...

Post a Comment