Site Network: Home | About



Detroit Wine Tasting

Just wanted to give u a review of the wine tasting that Erika and I went to at Ford Field last nite. There were about 800 wines with a large selection of Michigan wines to sample. There were lots of cheeses and crackers along with noodles, mushrooms, bread and other stuff to eat. As for the wine, it was not amazing but there were a few that I was happy to try. I had the Elk Cove Pinot Noir Roosevelt Single Vineyard from Oregon that was listed at $45, which was probably the best pinot I have ever tasted. I also had a few great zinfandels, Terra D'Oro Deaver Vineyards $23, Rancho Zabaco Chiotti Vineyard $20 and Belevedere Sonoma County $23 all worthy of buying. Erika found an excellect chocolate port Alvada Rich Madeira $29 that you can find at Costco cheaper. I had some good sparkling wines and champagnes but none that I can really remember. All the good ones were gone before I made it to the tables. For $10 you can get Ironstone's Petit Sryah that for the price is outstanding.

I made sure I hit the Michigan tables before leaving and was glad I did. I had the Tabor Hills Chardonnay which was very bad, it was flat with no big oak taste. I have thought about buying this before and thankful I didnt. I found 2 MI wines worthy tho, Peninsula Cellers Dry Gewurtzaminer $15 and their Cabernet Franc $15. I know you don't think about MI when it comes to these grapes but I did learn that MI has one of the best climates for them.

Overall, the event was a lot of fun, the crowd was a mix of young people in jeans up to old folks and your pretentious yuppies.

Afterwards Erika and I went to Agave for dinner which was very good and not too expensive. I recommend this place if you are looking for mexican and don't want to head down to Mexicantown. Also the food is a bit healthier and no waiting.

Posted by mardenhill 10/02/2004 02:22:00 PM  

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Anonymous said...
    Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Heating supplies and new hampshire

Post a Comment