Site Network: Home | About



Music Review

Mark Lanegan Band - Bubblegum

Well I am a bit biased with the review, Mark is one of my fav musicians but I have to say this cd rocks. If you are a fan of the Screaming Trees or any of Mark's 5 other solo releases, you will enjoy this cd. It starts out very slow and brooding, nothing different than his other releases but then grabs you with "Hit the City" a duet with PJ Harvey. There is a duet with Greg Duli which is amazing but the only downside is you can barely hear Greg's singing. The style of the song is very reminicent of the Afghan Whigs and I can see why Greg is featured on it. My question, did Mark write the song for Greg or just realized he needed Greg to help pull it off. With the Waitseque "Methamphetamine Blues" Mark has moved on from his folk inspired songs to a more loud and raw sound. "Head" sounds like a b-side from the Screaming Trees - Dust cd, I was singing "Dying Days" all the way thru the song. Overall, the cd explores about 5 different styles of music, but it does not sound like one of those bands trying everything on one cd to see what actually works. Mark is capable of pulling off all these styles and can still add his own sound to them. I highly recommend this cd, and don't forget to check him out at St Andy's Sept 29th. Just read that it will be an acoustic show, Mark and 2 guitarists.

Posted by mardenhill 9/09/2004 02:47:00 PM  

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »

Post a Comment