Site Network: Home | About



Bells Third Coast Old Ale

This weekend I was over at Cloverleaf where I tend to buy much of my beer since they allow you to mix and match and price each bottle accordingly. I came across Bell's Third Coast Old Ale a barley wine that I havn't had in years. Unfortunately I only bought 2 bottles ($2.50) a piece which is really a steal and now they are gone. I guess I will be heading back over soon to pick up some more. Anyways, getting back to the beer, if you have never had an Old Ale, its quite a treat. Its not as heavy as a stout or porter but it does have some unique characteristics. For starters, it packs a punch, the beer comes in at 10% and is only served in a brandy snifter when at the brewery due to liquor laws. 2nd, the flavors are intense, right off the bat you have toasted malt with carmel and molasses. The hops take over and give you a bitter finish but it's not one that is overpowering. The heavy texture coats your tongue and gives a hint of sweetness to savor. You won't be pounding these but many Bell's beers are not meant to. Go to your local beer store and look for the Old Ale. Pick up a 6 pack and drink one now. Have a few later and save the last 2 until next year. At that point revisit and see how much has changed.

Posted by mardenhill 1/12/2009 10:24:00 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment