Site Network: Home | About



Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Sunday At Dirt Devil (2008)

Back in 2006 an unlikely duet surfaced between Isobel Campbell (formally Belle & Sebastian) and Mark Lanegan. It took everyone by surprise and expanded both musician's musical repertoire.

Isobel and Mark are back again this time taking their duets to a new level. The cd starts off very soft with both barely singing over an acoustic guitar and strings. By track 2 "The Raven" the tempo picks up as well as the arrangement. Mark's voice is much stronger and takes on a storytelling tone, very similar to that of Nick Cave. On track 5 "Come On Over (Turn Me On)" Mark and Isobel let loose and indulge in a late nite romp in the sack. Sex and blues drip from this song and is one of the best on the cd.

The cd blends folk, blues, southern gothic and storytelling and is reminiscent of Mark's cover cd I'll Take Care Of You. It is much better than their debut and I can see this relationship continuing on for years to come. If you were a fan of Mark's previous solo work before Bubblegum you will enjoy this cd. It revisits the blues and gospel influenced side of his previous work.

I have thought about it but I can't really compare this to the Gutter Twins cd, both are completely different styles and if I had to pick a favorite, I would be hard pressed.

On a side note, The Gutter Twins are playing Detroit August 1st and I can't wait. Its been years since I have seen Mark Lanegan live, the last time he was supposed to tour he was in a car accident and cancelled the remaining shows and never rescheduled.

So far no R.E.M or The Cure this year but I do have The National, Stereolab and now the Gutter Twins so I am quite happy.

Posted by mardenhill 5/30/2008 08:56:00 AM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment