Site Network: Home | About



My iMac


Its been nearly 6 months since I have been able to power on my iMac due to some electrical issues here at home. Last year we had some power surges that were due to the meter box on the back of the house. Once that was fixed and the electrical outlets upstairs replaced, it was time to try out the mac. Unfortunately the mac would only power on for 1-2 minutes and die. If you would try again it would fail on the blue startup screen. This lead me to believe that either the power supply or logic board had been fried during the surges. The logic board along with the hard drive had been replaced in the past due to other issues and at this time the iMac was out of warranty. I had to make a $100 gamble to figure out if it was the power supply or not. Without the warranty it wasn't worth bringing into the apple store for them to tell me what I already believed was the problem. Since the transistors on the logic board looked good it could be one thing and if I was wrong, well it only cost me $100. So I bought a new power supply off of eBay and hoped for the best. The good news, I was correct and my iMac is back to life.

Although my iMac is only a G5, I love the design and ease of use when repairing. You unscrew 3 screws and the back comes off. You can replace any piece of the computer without issues. The new design of the iMac has made this next to impossible since you need to take the screen off to access everything. This fall my iMac will turn 4 but for the most part is a workhorse and an amazing machine. It feels good to have it back up and running once again.

Posted by mardenhill 4/20/2008 11:41:00 AM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment