Site Network: Home | About



College In 2008

Before I am able to start my MBA program I need to take Calculus and decided to save some money and go to the local community college. Now its been 11 years since I have scheduled a class and was blown away at how things have changed. The trusty ole phone method is still available where you sit down with sheets of paper all around you with your schedule, your alternate and the alternate to that if the classes you want are not available. You then sit thru the painstaking automated voice that repeats everything back to you in snail speed. After it's all over you have your classes but if you need to make a change, its off to the office of registrar or back to the phone for another round. This was considered an advancement throughout the early to mid 90s and the method I had to rely on.

Well in 2008, it's quite different and forgive me if I am telling you what you already know but I am still smiling at how easy it has become. I logged onto the school's website, entered my username/password and did a search for the class I wanted. I found it clicked OK and the class was in my shopping cart, just like an Amazon purchase. I added another class for the 2nd half of the semester and in the end paid my tuition bill with my credit card. At that point I decided to google the professors to see if I could find anything on them and discovered the ratemyprofessors.com website. I was able to see reviews from students going back 3-4 years. Just like any open comments site, there were a bunch of idiots but I was able to get an idea of what I was getting myself into. I decided that the prof for the 2nd semester was a dud and searched for an alternate class. Found one at another campus and scheduled away. The school even has a link to the online bookstore where you can purchase what you need. Besides that, grades as well as your class schedule are posted online. I am really enjoying the modern world of college and can't wait to get started.

Btw, I need to take a semester of college algebra and trig before I can get into calc. At that point, I should be ready to start my MBA in January.

Posted by mardenhill 4/15/2008 07:09:00 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment