Site Network: Home | About



Research in Motion Secretly Plans iPhone Killer

Word on the street is that RIM has its sights set on dethroning Apple and the iPhone. They will release a touchscreen device under the 9000 series in hopes of breaking their image of a business only device. They did make some headway with the Pearl, a small phone with a 2 type keyboard that is next to impossible to type on. They brought the keyboard back with the Curve and both devices had cameras onboard as well. This is good and all but when compared to windows based devices the Blackberrys do not hold up. They are not user friendly when it comes to 3rd party applications and you always feel like you are in business mode when using.

Another problem I have with Blackberrys is their desktop software, this is needed to sync and reconcile emails and files. Its completely stupid that I need a desktop software to keep my outlook organized. As for file transfer, thats fine since all devices have this. I have never worked with a Blackberry that is truly 100% wireless, something never syncs and its back to the usb cord once again. This is one of the reasons I love Active Sync and Windows Mobile, I never have to cradle my device unless I want to transfer files. My calendar, emails, address book, tasks and notes all sync flawlessly.

So with that in mind I don't see Blackberry coming close to an iPhone killer. Neither device is 3G which is a big deal for me. This is one of the reasons why I didn't go for the iPhone. If the 2nd generation sports 3G and a few other missing features then I will reconsider.

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2007/11/research-in-mot.html

If you are on the fence and are considering a Blackberry, look elsewhere and try a Windows Mobile device, I think you will be much happier.

Posted by mardenhill 11/21/2007 07:22:00 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment