Site Network: Home | About



Van Halen 2007


Last nite I went and saw Van Halen (reformed with David Lee Roth and Wolfgang Van Halen on bass) at the Palace of Auburn Hills. My buddy Jay at work was given a pair of tickets at 5pm and asked me to go. We missed the opening act and got there just in time to see Van Halen hit the stage. They started off with "You Really Got Me" and settled into a number of older songs I didn't remember at all. I will state for the record that I am not a huge VH fan and only know the hits so I won't pretend that this was some trip to heaven for me.

Some of the highlights were "Dancing The Night Away", "Everybody Wants Some", "I'll Wait", "Jamie's Crying", "Running With The Devil", "Panama" and "Pretty Woman". David Lee Roth was in classic form with a multitude of outfits, roundhouse kicks and sexual innuendos. At one point he grabbed a camera from the crowd and stuck it down his pants, not sure why but thats DLR for ya. The cameras singled out one middle aged woman in the crowd and plastered her on the big screen over and over. I think they were hoping for some shirtlifting action but it never happened. My main gripe about the show was the sound, it was way too loud. I have been to my fair share of shows but this one rivaled Dinosaur Jr and Queens of the Stoneage and was painfully deafening. The vocals were lost at times and it was a mush of sound that really did a disservice to the band. The crowd was interesting and I had a drunk woman and her husband next to me who looked like she was ready to puke over the ledge into the suite below. She did spill her popcorn down on the people which provided for some laughs. Unfortunately the downfall of the show was "Jump" which they played as an encore. DLR screwed up the lyrics and it felt like karaoke.

The face value of the tickets were $150, I am just glad I only had to pay for beer and half of parking. With many shows sold out around the country, VH is pulling in some dough that should last them for a while.

Btw, I did not take these photos, I yanked them off the official web site....

Posted by mardenhill 10/23/2007 09:16:00 AM  

1 Comment:

  1. Mr. G. said...
    I saw DLR way back in the 80's when he went solo (remember California Girls?) at Wings Stadium I think. There were about 20 semi's of speakers for that small stadium. If I ever lose my hearing later in life it will be because of that one show. It was the loudest event I ever attended (louder than Metallica!).

Post a Comment