Site Network: Home | About



Traverse City

Erika and I went up to Traverse City to see her sister and had a great weekend. We ate at the Blue Tractor a bar/grill that had some amazing mac n cheese and old man beer for $1.50 after 9pm. I got a can of Carling Black Label and a draft of Old Style, it doesn't get much better than that.

Saturday we started at some hippy restaurant where I had french toast which was ok but not groundbreaking. Everyone else enjoyed their food so I won't completely write off the establishment. It had some funky name but I can't remember and they are selling the place so I guess it really doesn't matter. From there we made our way to Fishtown an area right on Lake Michigan in Leeland. This was very cool, a bunch of old shacks with stores, a bar and fish monger. Our next stop were the vineyards, went to BlackStar Farms which is always fun and full of good wine. We bought a Chardonnay and Late Harvest Reisling from them. From there we made our way to Shady Lane, a new vineyard for me and I was impressed. Although we only bought a bottle of their Estate Reisling, I did enjoy a number of their other wines. Our final stop was L Mawby, my favorite vineyard up in Traverse City, its all sparklings and the people who run it are very cool. We splurged here and bought a bottle of their Talismon which was $30. We also picked up a couple Blanc de Blancs which are very good and reasonable at $18. Although you can get Domaine Chandon for $12 at Costco, I do like supporting our MI vineyards and would buy L Mawby if its available.

After the L Mawby we went back over to Leeland where we watched the sunset on the beach and enjoyed a bottle of the Blanc de Blanc. I left my camera at home so I only had my phone but you get the point.


The weather sucked on Saturday until 3pm when it stopped raining and the sun came back out. Sunday was great and made for an easy drive back home.

http://www.blackstarfarms.com/


http://www.shadylanecellars.com/ourStory.asp

http://www.lmawby.com/

http://www.bluetractorcookshop.com/

Posted by mardenhill 10/29/2007 09:30:00 AM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment