Site Network: Home | About



Klaxons - Myths Of The Near Future (2007)

They are currently the indie darlings both here and across the pond. The band are the Klaxons, a UK three piece credited for reviving the rave scene of the 90s. They mix live instruments with electronic to create a visual landscape of epic proportions. From what I have read, the rave connection came when they just started out and didn't have anymore songs to play so they covered some 90s club hits. Whether or not this is true, the band has been saddled with bringing back the scene.

My first impression was not that good, I dismissed them as more UK fodder but decided to circle back around. I am not completely sold on the band but there are some very cool songs on their debut Myths Of The Near Future. The cd opens with "Two Receivers" a subdued and keyboard heavy track. The song builds into a large crescendo all the while falsetto vocals hover over buzzing and Mobyesque piano. Track 2 "Atlantis To Interzone" is pure rave culture, the sirens and chanting lead way to pounding and erratic break beats. Track 5 "As Above, So Below" is the most radio friendly and I could see creeping onto the US airways. It has a Gorillaz element to it where you are forced to tap your feet and bob your head.

The Klaxons remind me of Kasabian where both bands borrowed heavily from previous UK scenes but found a way to spin it into something new. I still prefer Kasabian, I like their sound much better but this cd is growing on me.

Rating 7.5/10

http://www.klaxons.net/

Posted by mardenhill 4/18/2007 11:01:00 AM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment