Site Network: Home | About



Douro Gouvyas 1997

For starters I am going in blind here on this Portuguese wine, I am not familiar with the region or the grapes. The bottle says Vinho Tinto red wine vin rouge which basically translates to a red blend made of Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz and Touriga Francesa. The back of the bottle also states it was aged in Portuguese oak barrels and bottled without fining or filtering to preserve its character. Only 5000 bottles of this vintage and mine happens to be stamped with number 4762.

The wine itself is a dark ruby color and has a ripe nose. Being 10 years old I was expecting a full bodied earthy flavor with lots of structure and backbone. Upon tasting I got about half of that. Its sweeter than I was expecting and there is a bit of spice lingering at the finish. Its very smooth with little tannin and harsh favors. I was expecting it to be smooth but not so sweet. This will definitely be a wine I will try again tomorrow to see how much has changed. I had it open and poured for about 30 minutes before drinking.

If you are interested in the bottle you can find it at Simply Wine in Birmingham for about $15.

Posted by mardenhill 3/04/2007 09:14:00 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment