Site Network: Home | About



Douglas Coupland - jPod

http://www.jpod.info/

I have finally finished jPod and highly recommend it to everyone. It took me a while to read, I get easily distracted and found other things to do besides reading. This doesn't mean the book was bad, I really enjoyed it. On the surface its a lot like Microserfs one of his books from the 90s but once you get reading it takes a completely different turn. Absurd scenario's, disfunction families, off beat humor and societal references are all present in this book. Its a comedy, quite different than his last few books but more avant garde than anything before. Douglas did a great job with his characters and the crazy situations they find themselves in. He also included himself as a character which was something new and it reminded me of the last Brett Easton Ellis book Lunar Park. Douglas wasn't the plot of the book just a small character but reading my 2 favorite authors pretty much back to back with the same concept was quite weird.

I was out on Coupland's website and found out he has a new book slated for release this fall entitled The Gum Thief but cannot find any info on the plot. I googled the title and came across some story that a woman in her 40s has been on a crime spree stealing gum around Toronto. Now I have no idea if this will play into Coupland's book or if its just a coincidence but with him you never know....

http://www.coupland.com/index.html

Posted by mardenhill 3/04/2007 02:11:00 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment