Site Network: Home | About



Life After Woxy

Since the demise of Woxy, I have been listening to more of my mp3s. Tonight I was jumping around, picking random songs for my listening pleasure. Below is a list of my adventures.

Geggy Tah - "Whoever You Are" - This was a really dumb song but its quirkiness keeps you listening. "All I wanna do is to thank you, even though I don't know who you are. you let me change lanes, while I was driving in my car".

Jellyfish "The King Is Half Undressed" - Known for their stupid costumes and hats, Jellyfish had great Squeeze/Beatles melodies and a knack for catchy guitar rock. Another interesting note, Jason Falkner was a member.

Joydrop "Beautiful" - A great 90s alt rock band. Female vocals blended with a touch of industrial. Since 89x (radio station in Detroit, actually based in Canada) has to play a set number of Canadian bands each hour, Joydrop was in heavy rotation.

King Missile "My Heart Is A Flower" - Its hard to describe KM but I will give it a try. Think of a college coffee shop on open mic night. Take that young, foolish English major and put it to some pretty cool music and you have KM. Lots of spoken word mixed with some psychedelic rock.

Material Issue "Valerie" - The band that has more songs named after women, all of which are amazing. Infectious power pop and loud guitars on this one. Unfortunately, Jim Ellison committed suicide back in '96 leading to the end of Material Issue.

Moist "Push" - Another crappy Canadian band forced down our throats by 89x but one with a great name. Moist, its a beautiful word, the way it rolls off your tongue and fills air around you. ex. "I really like that cake, its very moist".

Mystery Machine "Valley Song" - You guessed it, a Canadian import but a good one. This 90s band had all the makings of a good 4AD shoegazer band but with a bit more guitar and distortion. You hear a lot of Ride in thier debut cd. I remember requesting this song a lot back in the day.

The Ocean Blue "Ballerina Out Of Control" - A lush, dreamscape engulfs you when listening to this song. The Ocean Blue were always mistaken for a brit rock band but are stateside and hail from Hersey, PA.

The Pursuit Of Happiness "She's So Young" - OK, this is scary, I am just randomly picking songs and come across another Canadian band. A fun sing a long that came off the heels of I"m An Adult Now" a self loathing and satirical song that blows Beck's "Loser" away anyday.

School Of Fish "3 Strange Days" - Another tragic loss for the music world, lead singer Josh Clayton-Felt died of testicular cancer at the age of 32. He did leave us with a few records and this song before the great grunge movement of the 90s.

I need to sit down and put together my own Woxy Vintage playlist, I have all the music but it was just so much easier clicking on the link.

Posted by mardenhill 9/24/2006 09:52:00 PM  

1 Comment:

  1. Will said...
    Some good stuff on there Randy, particularly Jellyfish. Their debut "Bellybutton" is one of my all time favourite albums.

    World Series is still on for the Tigers.

Post a Comment