Site Network: Home | About



Morning Music Review

While packing for our trip, I decided I needed some good ole fashion Brit Rock to get me ready for London. Its 8am and with only 1 cup of coffee so far, I don't want anything too loud. As I dug thru my mp3 Brit Rock folder on external HD, I came across the Lush folder. Realizing "Split" was their best cd, I had to listen to that. It starts off with "Light From A Dead Star", an ambient dreamscape that builds into a heavenly wall of sound which takes you to track 2 "Kiss Chase". You have classic Lush here, dual vocals with the shoegazer guitar backdrop. By track 3, Lush has broken away from the dreampop and heads into more straight forward rock. You have heavier guitars and some forceful vocals that fall back into the wall of sound during the chorus. Track 4 "Hyprocrite" with a pronounced bass line and melody Lush take it to a new level. They have officially left the shoegazer world and joined the one of rock. Track 5 " Lovelife" Lush flirt with the etheral world of their past and their new found freedom. The rest of the record is a tug of war between the 2 sounds with Lush not quite giving up on the shoegazer scene. This happens on the next record but for now there are still some connections. You get the best of both worlds here, some rock and some dreampop but not too much where you get bored. Most shoegazer bands can't keep my attention thru a whole record but Lush does with this one.

Getting back to present day, Emma Anderson from Lush has formed a new band Sing-Sing. If you havn't listened to them yet you need to check it out. You don't have the wrapped in clouds vocals anymore, just straighforward singing. The sound is stripped down a bit of acoustic and lounge mixed together.

Posted by mardenhill 8/16/2006 08:49:00 AM  

3 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Have a fun trip!!!!!!
    That band sucks and you know it and we all know it as well.
    MAIDEN RULES!!!!!!
    Will said...
    Have a great trip Randy.

    Thanks for the tip on Emma's new band. I'll search them out.
    Mr. G. said...
    I think we all know who the "Anonymous" Maiden lover is - Nasar!

Post a Comment