Site Network: Home | About



The Kills

I rediscovered the Kills the last week, I had their cd "No Wow" in my car and decided to listen again. I forgot how great of a band they are and its only 2 people VV and Hotel. The Kills came out during the White Stripes era but don't confuse the two. There is only a guitar and a drum machine here and its not like they will be playing Carnegie Hall anytime soon. The music is simple but its real. VV reminds me of Justine Frishmann (Elastica fame) with her ability to blend both sex and rocknroll together. VV's intoxicating vocals keeps you hypnotized throughout the cd. Their debut, "Keep On Your Meanside" focuses on the raw sound coming from a distorted guitar and brash, in your face lyrics. By their 2nd cd, The Kills expanded on their sound, they didn't add members, just added some melody into their sound. It starts out with "No Wow" a building banter between VV and Hotel, with VV kicking his ass. Track 2 "Love Is A Deserter" has VV exhibiting her control over the masses with her swagger. One of my favorite tracks "Rodeo Town" has VV exposing her soul and letting down her guard. You can hear her really singing here which is great.

I am waiting for their next cd, I am interested in seeing what they come up with. I saw them on their 1st trip to Detroit and it was a good show, the chemistry between the 2 rivals the stripes. In the meantime, check out their site, they just built a new one and its really cool.
http://www.thekills.tv

Posted by mardenhill 7/26/2006 02:29:00 PM  

1 Comment:

  1. Will said...
    Just a genuine, raw garage sound and I really like that.

Post a Comment