Site Network: Home | About



Riot City Blues


The new Primal Scream "Riot City Blues" is out and like I said before its a throwback to their 60s psychadelic sound. The whole album is a handclapping stroll down vintage lane. It starts off with "Country Girl" a solid single that gets your singing along. The 2nd track "Nitty Gritty" is full of organs and trademark gospel backup singers. The music starts to get heavier on the 3rd track and falls more into the garage rock sound. Track 4 "When The Bomb Drops" drops the jangle pop and goes for straight rock n roll sound. Mani's bass can be heard throughout the song which is nice since he seems to be on other songs. On "Little Death" the Beatles influence can be heard, there are sitars and a slow swirling sound that envelops the room. I don't think Bobby Gillipse can really pull of this sound, it seems a bit out of place. There is also too much "aha yah ah, ah heh ha" singing and thats gets annoying. By track 6 we are back to the honky tonk blues rock and I am starting to miss the electronic sound that used to be Primal Scream. There is a lot of Black Crowes with a bit more angrier sound throughout the cd.

Pitchfork gave a blistering review of the cd, it only scored a 2.3 with them. I don't usually take Pitchfork's opinion on reviews but there are a few times they are dead on. I don't think it deserves a 2.3 but I would give it maybe a 6 or 6.5 its not in my top Primal Scream albums. My favorite quote from the review:
Even in its relatively ok moments, the album fails. The decent forbidding-throb bassline of "When the Bomb Drops" makes me feel bad for Scream bassist Mani, who has now been roped into the second retro-rock disaster of his career after already weathering the Stone Roses' Second Coming.

I do hope Primal Scream does a tour of the US and makes it to Detroit, I saw them about 5 years ago and it was amazing. They captured that mix of rock and electronic live without relying on a pre-recorded sound. I still love the mid 90's "Vanishing Point" where they transformed from the organic to electrorock sound.

Posted by mardenhill 6/10/2006 10:22:00 AM  

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Anonymous said...
    You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » »

Post a Comment