Site Network: Home | About



Best British Album Of All Time

NME's best British album of all time revealed

The city of Manchester should take a bow...

The Stone Roses' 1989 self-titled debut album has been voted the best British album of all time by NME's writers.

The poll to establish the 100 greatest British albums ever has the indie legends at the top, just pipping fellow Mancunians The Smiths at two with their 1986 effort 'The Queen Is Dead', and Oasis, who are at Three with their 1994 debut 'Definitely Maybe'.

Arctic Monkeys make an appearance at Number Five in the week that their first album 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not' looks set to become the fastest selling UK debut album of all time.


The Top Ten is as follows:
1. The Stone Roses 'The Stone Roses'
2. The Smiths 'The Queen Is Dead'
3. Oasis 'Definitely Maybe'
4. Sex Pistols 'Never Mind The Bollocks'
5. Arctic Monkeys 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not'
6. Blur 'Modern Life Is Rubbish'
7. Pulp 'Different Class'
8. The Clash 'London Calling'
9. The Beatles 'Revolver'
10. The Libertines 'Up The Bracket'


The full 100 is featured in this week's issue of NME, dated January 28, on sale in all good newsagents now.

......................................

I agree with the list except for the Artic Monkeys, I have tried to listen to the cd a few times but its crap, I don't know what the hype is all about. I would replace that cd with Suede's debut, which is in the list but probably somewhere between 10-20. I am looking forward to seeing the full list and to see how many of the 100 I have and what didn't make it

Posted by mardenhill 1/26/2006 11:30:00 AM  

4 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Good lord Sutton, only you would be tracking the top 10 Brit Rock albums.
    Anonymous said...
    Not sure about this list Randy - I mean - how can you not have Led Zepplin there or the Who?? Artic Monkeys above London Calling????
    Anonymous said...
    Anonymous said...

Post a Comment