Site Network: Home | About



Best Of 2005

Top 15 CDs of 2005

1. Kasabian - Kasabian: This cd is still as fresh as it was the 1st time I listened to it. TTop 15 Chey took what was best of the 90s British music scene, repackaged it and added their own touch to it. Every song is amazing, I just put it on yesterday which gave me the idea to post this. The cd came out in the UK back in Nov of 04 but it didn't hit the US until Mar 05 so I figured I could add it to my list.

2. Ryan Adams - Cold Roses: This was the 1st of 3 cds for Ryan this year and by far the best. It wasn't pure alt country or rock, it was a blend of the 2 and had a very 60's summer feel. Sweet Illusion is a beautiful song that makes you think of a summertime picnic next to the river. Ryan is our Dylan and I hope he continues on releasing music for the next 20 years.

3. Echo & the Bunnymen - Siberia: Echo has been together for over 25 years and they are still going. This cd hits a lot of the styles that Ian and Will have given us and do it without sounding like a greatest hits album. Excellent swirling guitars switching back and forth between rock songs and ballads.

4. Editors - The Back Room: At first I thought they were just another Interpol rip off band but after a few listens this cd is excellent. What makes it amazing is the UK influence in the music, it puts enough distinction to make this cd enjoyable. I am looking forward to their next one, I think these guys have staying power.

5. Oasis - Don't Believe The Truth: Not much to say except that its Oasis, that is enough in itself. They are one of the best live bands and this cd shows how they are growing and not trying to redo Definitely Maybe. Lots of different styles on this cd and Liam's singing somehow seems to be getting better.

6. Son Volt - Okemah And The Melody Of Riot: When Uncle Tupelo split Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy went their separate ways with Jeff being more famous with Wilco. Jay formed Son Volt and has put out some solid releases and never strayed far from the alt country scene. Their latest cd is pure Americana, lots of great guitar rock and sing along songs.

7. Foo Fighters - In Your Honor: Dave Grohl has left Nirvana back in the 90s and blazed thru the last 10 years fronting the Foo Fighters. This cd is a double with one rock and the other acoustic. I have always liked the Foo's they write catchy songs that make u feel good but that aren't cheezy.

8. Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better With Franz Ferdinand: This cd is not as good as their debut but it doesn't disappoint either. Lots of fun, catchy, sing along songs that get you dancing.

9. White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan: This cd took a while to like, but Doorbell, The Denial Twist, Blue Orchid and Little Ghost are some of their best. I have stopped going to see them live, not that I don't want to but its become too expensive. I love these guys and I will always support them but come on $50 a ticket is getting a bit steep. For a 2 piece they have made a ton of music with not that much sounding repetitive.

10. The Sights - The Sights: Their sorta major label debut, not quite major but bigger than they were on before. This cd is solid and isn't all over the board like their previous one. Its hard rockin with a mix of blues and r&b. Another Detroit band that deserves to see the big stage.

11. Low - The Great Destroyer: I have never been a big Low fan, their music is too soft and somewhat boring. They kicked it up a notch on this one, its still dark and moody but there is an edge to it that keeps your attention.

12. Elbow - Leaders Of The Free World: Elbow are a very unique band, they don't look like they sound, check out a picture and you will understand. These guys have put more emotion into their music than Radiohead could ever dream of.

13. The National - Alligator: Woxy introduced me to these guys with the song Murder Me Rachel which is amazing. This cd is more subdued but good none the less. The guitars are turned down, no ear piercing Dino Jr solos going on. I think its the baritone vocals and piano that make this cd worth listening. Its not on the level as Mike Johnson or Mark Lanegan but few can make it there.

14. Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Jacksonville City Nights: CD 2 of 2005 for Ryan, this is pure country, down and dirty with slide guitar and lots of drinking. I still prefer Cold Roses but its not a bad cd at all, I am not aways in the mood for country so it doesn't get played as much.

15. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl: When I first heard it I didn't believe it was BRMC since the sonic guitars were gone and it was all alt country. After a few listens I really grew to like it, the songs were strong and I didn't have a problem with them heading in this direction. Most people assumed they were British due to their sound but they decided to throw that all away and wear the Americana badge with honor.

There are other amazing cds this year, LCD Soundsystem, Supergrass, The Posies, The Kills, Ryan Adams (29 his 3rd and final of the year), Engineers, Ladytron but I had to stop somewhere. I have finally decided to give Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah a listen, its not bad, lots of Talking Heads and whining vocals to keep you bobbing your head. I am not sold on them but I won't discount them either. I think its a little too quirky for me to really appreciate.

Posted by mardenhill 12/08/2005 08:03:00 PM  

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Anonymous said...

Post a Comment