Site Network: Home | About



Weekend Of R.E.M.

I think I have come to the conclusion that R.E.M.'s "Up" is my favorite cd of theirs, I was listening to it today and song after song was amazing no duds to be found. My other fav used to be "New Adventures in Hi-Fi", that one rocked but I think Up is better. New Adventures has more rockin songs and is very diverse sounding whereas Up is more atmospheric, the 1st in the post Berry faze. I thought the no drums was going to be a problem but they focused on toher sounds and just used a drum a machine for the parts that needed it. After Up, there was "Reveal" the flipside to the darker soundings of the previous cd. There is lots of sunshine wrapped into a pop driven masterpiece. Finally you have "Around The Sun" which was released just last year and is a mix of the last 2. I like this one but it can get a bit boring and monotonous, there are some great songs but too many blend together. Maybe I need to give it more of a listen but it just doesn't seem to stand out as much as Up. That is one of the reasons I love R.E.M., each cd has its own personality and holds its own. "Monster" was a college staple along with James' "Laid" and Screaming Trees "Sweet Oblivion" but I don't find myslef listening to it a lot anymore. I do have 64 R.E.M. songs on my ipod, I made my own greatest hits from their whole collection and ended up with this. I could probably add more but I am running out of space on the ipod and need to keep other stuff on it.

Posted by mardenhill 9/18/2005 05:53:00 PM  

3 Comments:

  1. Mr. G. said...
    c'mon randy - better than Life's Rich Pageant????!!!!
    Anonymous said...
    Anonymous said...

Post a Comment