Site Network: Home | About



Music Review

The Veils - The Runaway Found

Ok, this cd is a bit old, came out in Feb of this year but I am not discovering it and want to let the rest of you know how good it is. I have to thank my friend Denise for lending me the cd and praising it up and down. It has been on my laptop loaded in musicmatch for about a month now and gets play a few times a week. If you are a fan of Suede, The Verve and the whole Brit Rock scene you will love this cd. It has the makings of a classic, not as good as Suede's 1st cd, Urban Hymns or Oasis's Definitely Maybe but is very strong none the less. If you take some of the Verve's layered sound mixed with the personality of Brett Anderson and Brian Molko from Placebo you have Finn Andrews and The Veils. The cd starts off with "The Wild Son" which is a nice sing along then goes into "Guiding Light" that has a more edgy sound to it. "Lavinia" is the 3rd track which is an amazing orchestra ballad with the vocals of a tortured soul. "More Heat Than Light" is the heaviest song on the cd which rocks out. The rest of the cd then mellows out with a couple boring songs thrown in there. I was told that the band broke up already and when Finn played on KEXP he was solo but I have not been able to find any truth to the rumor. I would hope they are still together because I can see a great 2nd cd out of these guys. Check it out if u havn't its worth a listen.

Posted by mardenhill 9/15/2004 02:25:00 PM  

3 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Randy - dig the site!

    I've got this one on quite a bit as well. Love it.

    Rilo Kiley's new work, along with The Arcade Fire's 'Funeral' are both superb and worth checking out if you haven't yet.

    Looking forward to more reviews/recommendations from you.

    Congrats on the site.
    Ted
    Anonymous said...
    Anonymous said...
    Where did you find it? Interesting read » » »

Post a Comment