Site Network: Home | About



Three Saints Syrah 2005


Three Saints wines are a vivid expression of carefully selected grapes from the Dierberg Family's vineyards which are located in three of Santa Barbara County's premium wine growing regions: Santa Maria Valley, Santa Rita Hills and Santa Ynez Valley.
...............................

I decided to check out a new wine shop in town, well not new per say, but new to me. It was Plum Market, an upscale and pretentious grocery store located in Bloomfield Hills. I only went in for their wine selection which I have to say was quite nice. Upon first glance it seems like everything is a deal with one price and another in red below it at a discount. After browsing the store for a few minutes I caught onto their game and could see thru the charade. Besides having a head full of useless music knowledge that would only come in handy on Rock N Roll Jeopardy, I have a knack for remembering wine bottles and prices. After comparing some common bottles I saw a pattern of markups and their sale price being equal or possibly $1-$2 cheaper in some cases. I'm not saying Plum Market is a scam but you need be aware of their pricing scheme and not get too excited when you see a sale. I did find a number of bottles I have never heard of which then allows me to purchase them without any remorse since I have no clue of their actual price. While there this past weekend I picked up a great $18 2005 St Emillon Bordeaux and a California Syrah.

The Syrah was from Three Saints a southern Cali vineyard that retails for about $17.50. The store had it marked at $20 but had the final price at $12 which I knew was a steal. Going into it, I knew I had a decent bottle and unless it was stored improperly it really wouldn't be a dud.

This Syrah had the classic nose but didn't have the aromas that a Shiraz from Australia would have. The fruit was intense with shades of blackberry and plum. The body was rich and had a great smokey finish with hints of pepper and spice. If you crave fruit bombs that are not candy in nature but are easy to drink yet have a nice finish, you need to check out some Syrah.

http://www.threesaintsvineyard.com/

Posted by mardenhill 2/18/2008 09:45:00 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment