Site Network: Home | About



New TV


I finally did it, I broke down and bought a new tv. It had been my quest off and on for the last couple months and yesterday was the day. I had it narrowed down to a 42in 1080p Philips at Costco when I saw it next to a Sony that had a contrast ratio of 13,000:1 instead of the 8,000:1 the Philips had. At that point I decided that I needed to consider a few other tvs. I went back to Costco but didn't see anything else that would work so then it was off to Best Buy. This is where I ran into a Sharp rep who explained to me the new series of tvs they had. Of course Best Buy was sold out except for the 52in model so I packed up and headed off to the next store. I decided to check out ABC Warehouse a place I really don't like but knew I had to visit. Within 20 seconds of entering I was assaulted by the sales force and directed over to their tv section. They had a Toshiba and Sharp that interested me and luckily I had my Q9H with me because I was able to haggle by checking the internet for prices and specs. In the end I had the guy down from $1799 to $1499 for a Sharp Aquos 42in, 1080p.

I left the store with his card and prices and headed back home for some more research. I checked everywhere else and no one except Amazon could come close to the price at ABC so I decided I would do one last check thru Costco then back there. Costco had the older Sharp model at a great price but online only so I used this as my bargining chip. I went back to ABC and told the guy I didn't want an extended warranty but was willing to buy at Costco due to the 2 year they give and asked what else he could do. He came back and knocked off another $50 and threw in a surge protector, HDMI cable, DVI to HDMI converter and glass cleaner at his cost (or so he says but it was a good discount none the less). I walked out of there with the Sharp Aquos LC 42D64U for $1450 which I believe was a great deal. This model has an additional HDMI port, a lower response rate 4ms and a slimmer design over the 62U series Costo was selling. I still have 30 days to decide if I want an extended warranty but I am not sure if I will do so.

Setup was easy, just screw in the base and plug in. We still need to swap our cable box for the HD version with the bigger DVR. The tv did an automatic scan for channels and once that was done we were watching. I am excited to upgrade to the HD since I will be able to watch Discovery channel in High Def. We also need to get a home theater in a box and will wait til xmas for that. Since our living room is not that big I didn't want to do the separate components and a simple dvd player/receiver with wireless rear speakers will work just fine. There are a few that I am looking at and all are very affordable. We plugged the Wii in last nite and played a game of tennis which was a lot of fun. Yeah its not High Def quality but the split screen was big enough that you could play against each other and see the ball. I will need to get the better cables for the Wii now but that's not a big deal. I will also have to calibrate the tv getting all the colors right but that is something I will do another day. So if you are in the market for a new tv, consider Sharp, they have all the necessary specs as well as a great design.

Posted by mardenhill 11/25/2007 10:02:00 AM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment