Site Network: Home | About



Caribou - Andorra (2007)

I will admit, I have just come to the table when it comes to Daniel V. Snaith the man behind Manitoba and now Caribou. I have listened to his work in the past and just brushed it off. I wasn't really interested, I could get thru a couple songs here and there and that was about it. Snaith mixes it up between his albums, at times it has an electronic beat while others dive head first into jazz and indie pop. After a legal challenge (the name Manitoba was taken by another person, Snaith donned Caribou as the new moniker.

The latest cd, Andorra is a must for anyone who loves The Flaming Lips and The Polyphonic Spree. Its bursting with psychedelia and 60s summer pop. Its as bright and cheerful as any Poly Spree release without the church choir and its trippy enough to keep the pretentious indie wankers from writing it off as mainstream fodder.

This is a perfect summer record, the sunshine beats and Beatleseque studio mix ups keep the sound from going stale. With that in mind, I still don't think I could make it thru the whole cd in one listening. Its more of a few songs here and there to spice up the iPod shuffle. My favorite song has to be "Melody Day" the opening track. The layers are thick with interesting combinations that make you hit repeat just to hear things you missed the first time.

http://www.myspace.com/cariboumanitoba

You can find the cd on eMusic.com

Posted by mardenhill 8/26/2007 10:13:00 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment