Site Network: Home | About



Rilo Kiley - Under The Blacklight

Nearly every review has trashed this cd except for Blender who did write some positive things. As for my opinion, I am still on the fence. The band is Rilo Kiley and this is their 4th cd and 1st for a major. Rilo Kiley shed their Indie Rock/Americana sound and turned to 70s disco, 80s new wave and a bit of R&B. Jenny Lewis the lead singer has stated that the cd is about sex and LA life. This clean and some may say trendy sound is what got them in hot water with all the smug elitists out in Indieville. I wasn't expecting this direction and still picture the Watson Twins sound where Jenny was pulling a Neko Case on us. The cd starts off with "Silver Lining" a smooth and crooning late nite, spread out on the rug in front of the fire song. I find myself going back to this one over and over. I am not a huge fan of R&B but the groove and Jenny's voice is just downright cool. From there it moves into jangle pop territory which is always a good way to go. Track 3 is where it starts to lose me, the buzz song of the cd "Moneymaker" is commercial sleaze, its too polished and feels a bit fake to me. I love the grime and lyrically is amazing but I feel like they are trying too hard. Track 4 "Breakin Up" is hailed as the new Fleetwood Mac with it being co written by Jenny and her ex the band's guitarist Blake Sennett. This one could easily have been Abba with its lighthearted disco beat.

At this point you are 4 tracks in and its usually when I switch to a new cd. This may be why I am still debating. It left me on a sour note and part of the reason I haven't come to appreciate it fully. There are some amazing songs like track 5 "Under The Blacklight" 6 "Dreamworld" and 10 "The Angels Hung Around" which I never get to. If you are in the mood for something fun and a bit superficial at times, pick up this release. Hidden underneath are some very cool tracks that showcase Jenny's strengths as a dominant front woman and lyricist.

Posted by mardenhill 8/29/2007 09:12:00 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment