Site Network: Home | About



2001 Talbott Chardonnay Monterey County

I was given this as a gift for setting up a co-workers new cell phone and decided it was time to open. Bill raved about this wine he said it was what his wife always drank and when it was in stock at Costco he would buy all he could. He gave me a bottle and I had been holding onto it for about a month now. I was waiting for the perfect meal and tonight it was. While out in Delaware we had plenty of crab and while at Costco today we picked up a can of Phillips crab. We set out to duplicate our amazing meal and came pretty close. Basically we took lump crab meat, mixed it with some seasoning and baked it. We will have to tweak a few things next time but overall it was great. I wanted a good Chard to go with the crab so I pulled out the Talbott.

From the start the nose took you back to the vineyard with a bit of yeast and citrus. It was as if you were in California strolling thru tasting wines. The first drink knocked my socks off, it was very oaky with a bit of apricot and pear. You also had a bit of minerality going on and the flavor was plush and buttery in your mouth. It was the classic California Chardonnay and one that I havn't tasted in years. With it being a 2001, it had a bit of age on it and a golden hue. It was not overly sweet or tart at all. It was probably the best Chardonnay I have ever had and it blew anything away that I have tasted from Napa. I don't know if its the year or if its just the wine itself but it was amazing and I think everyone should buy a bottle. You are talking about a $40 bottle of Chard, not your everyday wine but you can pick it up for about $30 at Costco. I plan on treating myself next time I am shopping and grabbing another bottle of Talbott. It won't be a 2001, most likely a 2004 but it will give me a good chance to compare the two.

Posted by mardenhill 7/21/2007 09:35:00 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment