Site Network: Home | About



2004 Goosecross Viognier

I am not a big fan of Goosecross Cellars, I was directed to their vineyard my last time in Napa and was very disappointed. Out of all their wines I walked out with a bottle of Viognier and vowed never to return to the label.

Goosecross has a great online presence, an inviting website, podcasts and mass emailings but their wine doesn't warrant the prices. This is one vineyard using Napa Valley to its advantage by charging inflated prices for their product. I am not saying their stuff sucks but I am saying $30+ for reds are not worth it. I paid about $25 for the Viognier and while its a lot for a white, I did enjoy it. You had some great tropical flavors present and it had a hint of cream and sweetness which paired well with spicy food. The finish was a bit alcoholic tho, this wine stands at 14.5% and you could really taste it.

My new favorite whites are Vouvarys (Chenin Blancs), rich and creamy Reislings and Gewertzraminers. The richer the wine the better. I went thru a phase of Sauv Blancs since I was bored of Chardonnays but find myself going back to that style.

http://www.goosecross.com/

Posted by mardenhill 2/25/2007 10:59:00 AM  

3 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Boy, we couldn't disagree more with your assessment of Goosecross. There isn't a wine in their line that we don't like. Napa Valley wines are pricey in general and Goosecross offers quality on par with the best of them for the same price for less.

    Their Howell Mountain Cabernet and ÆROS Cabernet are two of our all time favorites. If Vouvarys (Chenin Blancs) are one of your favorites as you claim, you obviously didn't try their Chenin because you would have walked out with a case or two of it – we did!

    Last we visited Goosecross, their hospitality was like visiting family. Warm and inviting. We were right at home (I hadn't visited in two years and Jose remembered my name as I walked through the door!). Try that at another winery when you're just a casual visitor and not even a member of their club.

    Their website claims that they sell over 9,000 cases a year (all of their wine produced) direct to consumers... that would make a lot of small family wineries in Napa that I know of quite jealous.

    So, I guess for Goosecross, it's a good thing that most of us disagree with "what's in the head of Randy"!
    Anonymous said...
    Wow. Randy. Dude. I frequent your blog because of your music views. It's rare I disagree. And, I'm a Mac user from way back when. Additional points scored for sure.

    Occasionally I stray into some of your other discussions and usually move on without a second thought. And then I stumbled on this discussion about Goosecross and I couldn't help myself.

    I have visited this winery on many occasions. I like that they're small and off the "all too commercial" path that has all but ruined Napa for me. One time I visited during crush and they actually let me help (a cute blonde named Erin worked along side me so it was a little tough to focus on the winemaking at hand - hey Erin, can I help again next year?). I'll pay a little more for that experience any day.

    Well, on to my rant–I think the only thing that these folks do that may not be in their best interest is releasing their wines way too early. Now for the zinger–let them age and yo mama, those Goosecross wines are some of the best wines I've had! (Hear that Goosecross... let 'em age before you sell 'em... please!).

    I could also do with a little lower alcohol but I hear it's tough to let a grape ripen to higher sugars to get the big forward flavors we all love and have lower alcohol at the same time with a dry wine. I've never made a bottle in my life (but drank plenty and have the hangovers to prove it) so all I can do is drink what I like... and I will... bring on the (well aged) Goosecross!

    So, Randy, don't give up on these guys just yet. They're good people doing things right but ahead of themselves (and the wine) with release cycles.
    Anonymous said...
    You are way off base. Just visited their winery in Jan '08. Loved everything they poured in my glass. I love their reds...my wife loves their whites...we joined the club! Sorry you didn't have a great experience.

Post a Comment