Site Network: Home | About



The Monster


2004 Zinfandel The Monster

Grape Variety: 100% Zinfandel
Appellation: Paso Robles
Analysis: Alcohol: 16.3%
pH: 3.83TA: .63g/100mlRS: .80%
Harvest Dates: 9/8/04 – 10/31/03 (8 ranches)
Barrel Ageing: 14 months in 78% neutral oak uprights,22% in new and 1-3 year old Fr & Am oak barrels
Cases Produced: 3920
.................................................
All I can say is wow, this wine rocks. I was at Papa Joes over the weekend where I was encouraged to try this bottle. The label reminded me of Peachy Canyon which is another great vineyard. What makes this wine so amazing is the region, its from the hottest area in Cali these days Paso Robles. This region is by far the best for Zin, it blows away the Alexander Valley and Lodi regions and constantly gives us great juice.
Being 16.3% is huge for a wine, just a few points higher and it could be considered a port. You can taste alcohol but its not burning, its subtle and hidden underneath all the earth and spice. There is also a great fruit flavor kicking but isn't candy in nature like the previous bottle I reviewed. You can taste some cherry and black currant at the start but it turns dark and becomes bold and zesty. In my opinion, this wine can stand up to any great cab and I highly recommend you try a bottle.

Posted by mardenhill 1/22/2007 09:20:00 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment