Site Network: Home | About



The Kooks

I am still on the fence with the Kooks, one of the latest buzz from the UK these days. Their debut cd does not rely too much on the post punk scene too many bands have tapped over the last couple years. The 1st track "Seaside" is an acoustic bit, nothing special but it showcases the vocals. Track 2 "See The World" is an upbeat somewhat post punk song. The stacatto guitars are there but I think there is something else keeping me listening. Track 3 "Soft Song" drops the distortion a bit and pulls on the Strokes for influence. Track 9 "Naive" is good, it balances the rock with the meloncoly, something the Kooks have proven they are good at.

I think these guys have something here, it heavily borrows from the Strokes but adds the british accent which makes it enjoyable. I like the mix between unplugged and full out rock, it gives the record a bit more depth. I have avoided writing about this cd for a couple months now. I was ready to write them off with the rest of the latest UK crap but I have come around. The Editors got their start from emulating Interpol but also added their own blend off moodiness, same thing goes here. The UK has been a great place for music in the past, I hope we can return to those times again. I am getting bored of the US music scene and if the UK just continues to copy, we are all doomed.

I give it a 7/10

http://www.thekooks.co.uk/

Posted by mardenhill 10/25/2006 09:27:00 AM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment