Site Network: Home | About



It Has Begun

Lacryma Christi del Vesuvio Rosso DOC

Lacryma Christi del Vesuvio is so named for the legend of Christ's ascension into heaven and his emotion upon seeing the beauty of the Bay of Naples beneath him. The grape, Piedirosso, is a typical grape of this area; the vineyards which produce the Montesole Lacryma Christi Rosso are found in 15 different villages. Picked in the last week of October, the grapes are vinified in stainless steel tanks. The wine is then aged for seven months in French and Slavonian oak barrels. The combination of new and used barrels allows the character of Piedirosso to express itself. Deep ruby red color, intense fruity nose, mainly cherry and blackberry. Soft and round with a pleasing tannic finish.
.........................

I tell ya, this was one hard to find wine on the internet, I finally found their page after a few searches. Above is a description, I would have never been able to describe all that without the help of google. Anyways, I have decided to tackle my Italian reds and this was the only one I had in the basement. I will have to make a trip to Simply Wine to pick up a few more bottles. The wine itself is pretty dark, much more than a Sangiovese. Flavor wise, it is fruity with some cherry but also a bit of wood and smoke. The finish is a bit harsh with high tannins but not too over the top. They make a Bianco (white) but I was not sold on that one, it was only ok. I have been burned by too many Italian reds tasting watery with no flavor. This one does not fit into that catagory and is one I would drink again. Depending on what kind of pizza you have, you might be able to pull this one off. It needs a heavier dish than some basic pasta but isn't some king cab that needs a 3lb juicy steak.

http://www.caputo.it

Posted by mardenhill 9/12/2006 09:27:00 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment