Site Network: Home | About



And The Walls Came Tumbling Down.....

Tom DeLay Says He Will Give Up His Seat

The embattled former Republican leader tells TIME that he will leave Congress and not seek reelection

"I'm going to announce tomorrow that I'm not running for reelection and that I'm going to leave Congress," DeLay, who turns 59 on Saturday, said during a 90-minute interview on Monday. "I'm very much at peace with it." He notified President Bush in the afternoon. DeLay and his wife, Christine, said they had been prepared to fight, but that he decided last Wednesday, after months of prayer and contemplation, to spare his suburban Houston district the mudfest to come. "This had become a referendum on me," he said. "So it's better for me to step aside and let it be a referendum on ideas, Republican values and what's important for this district."

"I'm a realist. I've been around awhile. I can evaluate political situations," DeLay told TIME at his kitchen table in Sugar Land, a former sugar plantation in suburban Houston. Bluebonnets are blooming along the highways. "I feel that I could have won the race. I just felt like I didn't want to risk the seat and that I can do more on the outside of the House than I can on the inside right now. I want to continue to fight for the conservative cause. I want to continue to work for a Republican majority."

...........................
Yeah thank you Tom for being the bigger man and seeing past your own nose and doing whats best for the party. Tom isn't doing this out of loyality, he is doing it because he doesn't want to be embarrassed come november. Delay would have lost the seat and looked like a fool having to pull out come summer when he would be convicted and sentenced for all his crimes. He figures he will do it this way and avoid the lime light. Don't worry Tom we will still envoke your name everytime we talk about corruption in govt, bowing out early doesn't change that.

Tom is just the start of it all, expect more republiscums to "retire" over the next couple months. At that point its the dems responsibility to keep the campaign on track and gain the seat come november.

Posted by mardenhill 4/04/2006 07:30:00 AM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment