Site Network: Home | About



New Buffalo Tom CD In The Works

from www.billjanovitz.com

March 06 Newsletter:

Holy moly, chips and guacamole, It sure has been a long time, eh? Well, there has not been much new music-wise for me to write about. I probably wrote about the bi-annual Hot Stove Cool Music event prior to the show. One of the year’s most fun nights for me, still. Granted, things have slowed down for this guy. But so have they for you, don’t lie.

Buffalo Tom News So yeah, up until now, not a lot of new shows to let you know about. But there has been a pretty good amount of stuff going on behind the scenes. Mainly, we have been slowly – s l o w l y – chipping away at the next Buffalo Tom record. It seems that momentum is in short supply. Since we do not do it full time anymore, we can not set aside a bunch of weeks consecutively like we used to. But I don’t think any of the three of us thought that it would take so friggin’ long. The way we have been approaching it, I guess as much by default as by design, is to write a small batch of songs, say 3-5 at a time, and then go in a record them from top to bottom, more or less.

It has been a nice way of watching the record slowly take form. But there were so many huge breaks where many months would go before we got back in to the rehearsal room and then the studio. Holidays, kids, jobs, yadda, yadda, would all get in the way before we were able to get back on the same page. Well, you can see I am mostly talking in the past tense. That is because we are in the home stretch. All the tracks have been written and recorded. Now we are just finishing overdubs and then will start mixing the songs. I believe we have 13. I am really, really happy with the record. Chris has brought some really great song ideas and his singing and lyrics are better than ever. I think I have grown as well. Tom sounds like he has been practicing drums, though I am not sure that he has. I am pretty sure he hasn’t had much time, so I am not sure how that works.

But the songs and the production are very moody, fairly raw. Some remind me of Neil Young’s classic LP Tonight’s the Night. But most simply sound sort of mid-period Buffalo Tom, I guess. I am not going to try too hard to describe it, and I always thought we were working on our best record ever as we were in the process, but I psyched with the way this one is going. Especially since there were points during our hiatus from recording when I was not sure we were going to ever make a record again.

FAQ’s will include: When is it coming out? What label will be putting it out? When and where will we do shows? Will there be any special costumes arranged for the shows? Does this officially make us ineligible for American Idol? Will any of us be available for free kisses? I know, I know. The answers to all of them are: I don’t know. So what do you want from me? Believe me, you will be the first to know. Live ShowsSo no Buffalo Tom shows planned. But please come on out or listen to your radio or the internet for any of these:

.........................
Buffalo Tom was one of my favorite bands and to see them making a new cd is music to my ears. Bill Janovitz has put out 2 solos, worked with Crown Victoria and is a real estate agent in Boston. I would love to see them tour again, I saw them back in the mid 90s at St Andys and it was an amazing show. I got the set list and had Bill sign it, I have a collection of others, I should look at selling them on ebay.

I just got the Crown Victoria/Bill Janovitz cd from emusic, it came out in 04 but I forgot about it. There is a lot of BT in it, not the early J Mascis era but more of the later keyboard laden, melodic sound.


Posted by mardenhill 3/24/2006 12:05:00 PM  

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...

Post a Comment