Site Network: Home | About



89.1 WIDR Kalamazoo

I stumbled across my old college radio station yesterday and found out that they are streaming over the internet. I added the link to my itunes and have been checking them out off and on the last 2 days. They are pretty good, it seems like the program director has changed the daytime program to have a rotation and not just play unlistenable pretentious indie rock. Back when i was a dj, it was more or less a free for all. I had a daytime slot but played good music that people could enjoy. I then moved to an early evening slot for my Brit Rock radio show that I co hosted with Aaron Lambrix. We were on the air during the Oasis vs Blur wars and the rise of the Spice Girls. We had a great time with that show, we would get a copy of NME and read all the good gossip to the masses. This was before there were music websites that would post news daily. I also had an evening show which I created and died with my departure from radio. My show Excursions was a mix of Acid Jazz and Trip Hop, hence the blog address excursionsemi.com. I stumbled across the style of music on accident, I picked up an Acid Jazz cd in 94 but hated it. I pulled it out about a year later and really got into it. I then found a few good labels that put out the music and also discovered the Trip Hop in the process. I was and still am a big fan of the Ninja Tune style of Trip Hop. This label specialized in the jazzier side instead of the heavy acid beats that you find in The Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method and other electronic bands.

If you are craving some good ole WIDR check out www.widr.org .

Posted by mardenhill 3/22/2006 11:12:00 AM  

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Anonymous said...

Post a Comment