Site Network: Home | About



Catching Tales


Jamie Cullum is back with a new cd "Catching Tales". Its very good, lots of the piano, big band, swing he had on his previous cds. Jamie has also added a bit of new jazz to the mix, the live trip hop jazz with a bit of the crooner vocals. I wasn't sure what to expect but this guy is very talented and deserves a listen. There are some out there that were turned off by his Radiohead cover, yeah that did suck but the rest of his stuff is amazing. Think Harry Connick Jr mixed with the naked chef, thats Jamie Cullum.

Track 1 "Get Your Way" is produced by Dan the Automator, that what gives it the Trip Hop feel. Track 4 "I Only Have Eyes For You" is a cover but a bit more on the broody trip hop side. Its ok nothing special, very dark and smoky sounding. Track 6 "Mind Trip" has that acid jazz groove to it, lots of vibes and wha wha guitar and ohh ohh singing. Track 10 "Catch The Sun" is a cover of the Doves, when I first heard it it was driving me crazy trying to figure out who it was. I had to do a search on itunes and then realized who it was. The song is very good, its as if Doves played it accoustic with a piano. You also have the typical piano ballads that Jamie is very good at. Overall, I was impressed with the cd, its good to see him out there exploring other sides of jazz and not sticking to the classics.

Posted by mardenhill 10/18/2005 02:30:00 PM  

3 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Dude... That Radiohead cover SUUUUUCKED. My ears are still bleeding. Regardless of what you said, I will never listen to his cover of Doves. I'm sure it's "as if Doves played it accoustic with a piano" and SUCKED. Sacrilege. (I mean that in the nicest possible way...)
    Anonymous said...
    Excellent, love it! » »
    Anonymous said...
    Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »

Post a Comment